Error creating listener on new RAC node

From: Jason Heinrich <jheinrich_at_pcci.edu>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 17:23:10 -0600

I am getting my feet wet with RAC. Platform is Oracle 10g R2 on Windows 2000. Iıve setup a 1-node test cluster, and now Iım attempting to add a second node. However, when I try to create the listener on the new node, netca fails with the error below:

ServiceAliasException: Could not initialize Service Alias: TNS-04404: no error
caused by: oracle.net.config.ConfigException: TNS-04414: File error caused by: TNS-04612: Null RHS for "TCORE1.PCCI.EDU"

"TCORE1" is the database instance on the first node. Following the instructions given in every piece of documentation Iıve read so far, I ran netca on the new node, did a cluster configuration, and chose only the new node from the list. Thinking that something on node 1 might be causing the problem, I even dropped the listener from that node and attempted to create both at once from node 1, with the same results. So now Iım getting the error on both nodes.

I was able to setup and started the listeners manually, but I donıt know how to register them with the clusterware so they can be controlled via srvctl. Iıve got a TAR ‹ sorry, SR ‹ submitted to Oracle Support, but I was wondering if anyone in the Oracle community has seen this error and/or has an idea as to what I can do about it.

Jason Heinrich
Oracle Database Administrator
Pensacola Christian College