RE: event 10079 question

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 13:27:42 -0600

The 10046 trace will illuminate problems that your application is causing FOR the network (unnecessary parse calls, under-use of array processing features, etc.).

The 10046 trace will also reveal network latency problems IF you know how much time gets spent in client-side code path between dbcalls. Because the "SQL*Net message from client" elapsed durations include both components, you'll be able to isolate the network latency from this number only by subtracting the amount of time that the client tier spends processing a result set before issuing another dbcall.

Cary Millsap

Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.

http://www.hotsos.com

Nullius in verba

Hotsos Symposium 2006 / March 5-9 / Dallas

Visit www.hotsos.com for curriculum and schedule details...

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of rjamya Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2005 12:07 PM To: Oracle Discussion List
Subject: event 10079 question

Here is dumb question,

I have a remote user who often complains about slowness, sometimes it is network, sometimes it isn't. Network guys are doing their bit to identify, I need to do my bit. will a trace with 10046 and 10079 highlight any network issues?

told you it was a dumb question. we are doing 10046 to identify if there are any sql bottlenecks.
TIA
Raj

This space is available for rent.