Re: Compare Schemas

From: Ethan Post <post.ethan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 12:53:26 -0600

I like to think that I am not reinventing the wheel but alas I am currently writing some code which will store schema info from dozens of databases in a single meta repository. I don't like most of the tools I have tried, either too slow, don't like the outputs, too many details etc...

I currently have the challenge of keeping dozens of databases (developer/qa/automation) etc...in sync with the code being checked into source control. Also need to support upgrades from multiple prior releases of application to current version. Code cutoff can be quite close to release so it is critical that everything stay in sync and all differences are accounted for. The repository will automate most of my schema compares, keep a history, allow me to run compares across multiple versions and store the results, which then allows me to show the change history on any given object across multiple product versions. These are things existing products are not going to allow me to quite as easily AFAIK.