redhat paper on i/o options

From: Ray Stell <stellr_at_cns.vt.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 08:37:17 -0500

"Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® 4 enables Oracle® Database 10g file system applications to perform within 3% of raw I/O due to enhancements to the ext3 file system and through the support of both Direct and Asynchronous I/O."

http://www.redhat.com/magazine/013nov05/features/oracle/

How do you/they measure "data access patterns with very little data re-use?"