RE: Applying redo - recovery fundamentals

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 11:49:33 -0500

Slight quibble.

As the first step of restore, if you preserve the CURRENT online redo logs (perhaps in a directory called "try_again") and something goes very wrong in the recovery that includes pollution of the online redo logs, then you will be able to try again. I agree that you should not restore something over the top of the CURRENT online redo logs from backup tapes or online backups that is older than the CURRENT online redo logs unless a cold previous version of your database is what you intend to produce.

This handles the case, for example, where you typed in a time a little to near the present in your "recover until" statement or failed to cancel soon enough and proceed through "open resetlogs." As you curse yourself for making the mistake, at least you will be able to try again.

Regards,

Rightsizing, Inc.
Mark W. Farnham
President