RE: ITC value is higher than MAXTRANS for index blocks

From: Christian Antognini <Christian.Antognini_at_trivadis.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 08:38:29 +0100

Sami

>The block dump shows ITC value as 255 for 3 out of 8 blocks even
>though the maxtrans value is defined as 4.

Do those 3 blocks already contain index data?

>Is it possible to have ITC value higher than MAXTRANS value?

This is definitively the case in 10g where MAXTRANS it's deprecated and automatically set to 255 (i.e. the theoretical maximum... in practice it could be smaller). Note that in 10g DBA_INDEXES.MAX_TRANS contains the actual value, not the value specified by the DDL statement.

Anyway, I never saw this behavior it in 9i. What does DBA_INDEXES.MAX_TRANS contain in your case?

HTH
Chris