Re: SQL*Net message to client

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 22:53:12 -0000

Some of the information you can infer by looking at the output of the following query:

select view_definition from v$fixed_view_definition where view_name = 'GV$SESSION_WAIT'
/

This gives the definition of (g)v$session_wait in terms of the underlying X$ objects, and shows you the way in which some of the v$ columns are derived by decodes from (particularly) the microsecond wait time.

'Client' in this wait event is simply a session at the far end of an SQL*Net link - i.e. incoming database link or normal end-user/batch connection.

In a normal client/server dialogue, e.g. SQL*Plus running a simple query and fetching lots of rows one at a time, you would expect to see this event coming and going very rapidly (alternating with SQL*Net message from client).

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/cbo_book/ind_book.html Cost Based Oracle: Fundamentals