RE: SQL*Net message to client

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:43:58 -0800

Ray,

>What does WAIT_TIME = -1 indicate?

You will need to interpret WAIT_TIME in the context of many other columns in V$SESSION_WAIT/V$SESSION, including V$SESSION.STATUS and V$SESSION_WAIT's STATE and SEQ#. If V$SESSION.STATUS = 'ACTIVE' and WAIT_TIME = -1, you can be pretty sure the session is 'ON CPU'. Another pointer is V$SESSION_WAIT.SEQ# - the value uniquely identifies one episode of the Wait event. This is incremented every time one Wait event completes and another is recorded. You can track the progress of a session from this column. More importantly, when this value does not increment even though the session consumes CPU, it is a sure indicator that the session is hanging. On the other hand, if the session is always ON CPU, but this value increments, it means that the session is performing some work and is probably spinning. (If you are on Oracle Database 10g, you will be able to see this in the view definition of GV$ACTIVE_SESSION_HISTORY). <PLUG>I deal with this in slightly more detail in Chapter 11 of my book </PLUG>

Regards,
John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)