Re: linux DBA's: O_Direct

From: Mark Brinsmead <mark.brinsmead_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:02:17 -0700

Mark,

   You may want to look into the BUFFERMEM parameter (which you can set with sysctl). With this, you can restrict the amount of RAM used to buffer filesystem I/O. This may (or may not) be a simpler way to meet your needs. I'm afraid this parameter is not exceptionally well documented (at least, not in any of the places *I* normally look), but I can provide an example upon request.

   By the way, this can also be useful should you choose to store your *database* on ext2 or ext3 (although that doesn't apply in your specific case).

Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead.