Re: SELECT INTO new_table

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:17:06 +0000

On 11/22/05, oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> wrote:

> Oracle´s substitute for MS SQL Server temp table is a reference cursor
> and/or collection types. SQL Server temp table is a memory structure, just
> like Oracle collection types.
> You just have to pray that your db drivers (ODBC, JDBC, .net, whatever)
> support those rather exotic constructs (I mean - really support, not just
> they are saying they are supporting).

What you say is one approach to qriting pl/sql code that is equivalent to t-sql code that creates # tables on the fly. It would be equally possible to use GTT for the same purpose, the code would take longer to port but it may well be more performant and it would certainly be more legible

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA