RE: Simple SQL waiting on 'log file sync'

From: Marquez, Chris <cmarquez_at_collegeboard.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 13:34:39 -0500

Hmmm...maybe I'm wrong.

When a user session commits, the session's redo information needs to be flushed (FROM MEMORY) to the redo logfile (TO DISK). The session issuing the commit will wait on the log file sync event.

Sounds like you MUST commit to get a "log file sync" (wait) event? So you must be committing!?
And the solution is often as I said tune redo;

hth

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org on behalf of Deepak Sharma Sent: Fri 11/18/2005 1:17 PM
To: Kevin Closson
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

I am in the process of debugging an application that uses a PL/SQL procedure that ha sa statement similar to this. In my testing, I do have a step to commit, but that is 'after' this insert..select statement. What I am noticing is that if I run a trace, there are 'log file sync' messages.

Step1:
insert.. select statement <<- generated trace has the log file sync message

Step 2:
commit <<- I'm not even there yet

Thanks,
Deepak