Re: How to generate a lot of load on an Oracle database?

From: Ethan Post <post.ethan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 10:31:05 -0600

A couple months back I wrote a benchmark script which runs a variety of operations and records the results. I have come up with some interesting results (like plain PLSQL cursor loops being faster than bulk update!) and it is not very complicated. I guess I am wondering why something running multiple statements like...
 create big table, full scan big table, update big table, truncate big table etc...is not enough to stress your IO system. This would be very easy to write and isn't very complicated at all.  Obviously this doesn't simulate the load of an OLTP environment, but it should be sufficient to fully stress IO channels.  You should record redo info, archive info and file stat info to get a measure of performance. Statspack is fine also for some of this and getting wait info. Play around with your IO related parameters and run a lot of tests.
 Maybe Orion does this, can someone post a brief review (Henry?).