Re: looks like some web developers are getting back into 4GL environment...

From: <ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 14:56:57 +0000

your jumping to conclusions based on what some people say is the correct way to use it. You don't have to use it the way people who write articles say you should. They are not going to come to your house with a club and beat you if you design your database properly.

What language you code in and what framework you use is independent of how you design. Good design is good design. The language or environment is the implementation. Java people aren't bad database people because of java. Its their own fault. Java has nothing to do with it.

If you don't want to look into it then don't. From what I have seen its closer to developing in Oracle Forms than in a 3GL. People who used forms did not always have complete control over the schema. Keep in mind that many(if not most) authors on the web will make broad statements without actually testing or using something. If a java guy does not know anything about a database and says you have to have complete control of the schema... does what they say have any merit? So just because someone says that you have to do this or that does not make it accurate.