Re: Dell-Oracle-Linux: Anyone else run this...because its not working for us!

From: Thomas Day <tomday2_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 08:43:09 -0500

Just about to replace a hard drive on our PowerVault just as soon as the Dell tech gets here. Doesn't sound like a very reliable machine. I'm not sure if it's the hard drive or the controller. But the price is right and the gumment loves them. Our web farm people report that they have to replace a hard drive once a month on the average (30 web servers).  In my case I have to play with cards I'm delt but the only other time that I've had hard drives fail was 10 years ago when I had to work with some NCR pieces of junk. There, with just one machine, the controller would report a hard drive bad about once a week. Nothing really wrong with the drive, just the controller had decided to make life interesting.  The tech would put in the new drive, test the "bad" drive, and return it to storage. I really got to practice my recovery techniques.  Looks like the good old days are back again.