Re: Making sure all objects moved

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 04:23:24 +0000

Use the 'log=<filename>' option, then examine the log file for errors.

I like to use the following parameters - your mileage may vary.

buffer=10485760 - 10 meg buffer. You can use bigger, but my wholly unscientific (empirical) method has found there doesn't seem to be much benefit to larger than 10m. Could be influenced by platform, available memory, etc.

commit=y - Commits the data every time the buffer fills. easier on UNDO resources if it is a large import. Some imports should not be done this way, appending data for instance. ( not fun to fix if the imp dies part way through, after 1+ commits)

Importing into an empty schema should be fine.

ignore=y depends on what errors you are trying to ignore. eg. There may be object grants in the export file. These cause errors if the grantee is not in the new database.

statistics=n I prefer to generate them in the new database. May be import if there are minor version differences. If you don't like the generated stats, you can always export the stats and import into the new database.

indexes: Y if a small import - N if a large one. It is faster to build the indexes yourself after the import with 2+ sqlplus sessions.

recordlength=65536 - platform dependent. on 32 bit Intel boxes it maxes out at 64k.

grants=n - only if absolutely none of the grants should be imported.

HTH Jared

On 11/17/05, Nirmalya Das <nirmalya_at_hln.com> wrote:

> I have an "export" for an Oracle 8.1.7.4 <http://8.1.7.4>
> I am "importing" it into an Oracle 10g database.
> What is the best way to make sure all the objects imported correctly?
> I usually have problems with "synonyms".
> What are the proper switches to use while import?

Jared Still