RE: 10gR2 Memory Requirements

From: Christian Antognini <Christian.Antognini_at_trivadis.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:01:26 +0100

Brandon

>I'm planning an upgrade from 8i to 10gR2 and was a little surprised to see the memory requirements
>defined in Metalink note 316889.1 "Complete checklist for manual upgrades to 10gR2":
>
>- Ensure that the SHARED_POOL_SIZE and the LARGE_POOL_SIZE are at least 150Mb.
>- Make sure the JAVA_POOL_SIZE initialization parameter is set to at least 150 MB.
>
>I currently have 51 8i instances running with shared pool=118M, large pool=5m and java pool=32k, so
>this means I'll have to increase by 327MB per instance, for a total of 16GB.
>
>Just curious if anyone else has gotten by with acceptable performance on 10gR2 while using smaller
>allocations to large pool and java pool?

Be careful, the memory requirements to upgrade a database are different from the memory requirements to run it.

That said, you probably have to double the memory of your servers to successful upgrade the databases from 8i to 10g (of course this is not necessary if you already have plenty of "free" memory...).

HTH
Chris

New Features Oracle Database 10g Release 2 seminars @ www.trivadis.com Italiano: Lugano (24-Nov)
Français: Genève (17-Nov)
Deutsch: Zürich (29-Nov), Stuttgart (13-Dec)