One large tablespace.

From: Terrian, Tom (Contractor) (J6D) <Tom.Terrian_at_dla.mil>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 13:35:14 -0500

Oracle 10.1.0.4

HPUX 11.11 Backups with RMAN

We have two 250gb RAID 5 mount points that are made up of 5 disk drives each. We have been discussing the pros and cons of the following:

  1. Creating 1 large locally managed tablespace (uniform extent size of 4m) with a datafile on each mount point for all of our data and indexes. Interesting.
  2. Creating lots of locally managed tablespaces with different uniform extent sizes (128k, 4m, 128m) with datafiles on each mount point.

Certainly option 2 is the more traditional approach but is there anything wrong with option 1. Is it slower? Harder to maintain? Any type of file locking problems?

Thanks,

Tom