Re: Why Metalink Doesn't Have RSS Feeds

From: stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 17:45:46 +0000

On 14/11/05, Post, Ethan <Ethan.Post_at_ps.net> wrote:

> They can password protect the directory the feed is stored in, perhaps it
> would require login every time you fire up your RSS reader but that should
> be it.

That does presuppose that we use a desktop RSS reader, and that the reader has the client side code to handle passing passwords. I use an online agregator (actually part of the blogging site I use for my opersonal blog) because I tend to move from PC to PC to Server &c. Where ever I am I know that if I can get an internet connection I can see my feeds, for the same reason I tend to use GMAIL for my mail and the links section of a Yahoo! group I run for useful URLs.

>Also they could at the very least post public feeds with just the
> headlines.

That would be useful. OTN has some RSS feeds so presumably it wouldn't be too hard for any public headlines on Metalink to be made available through that, if they're not already.

Stephen

http://stephensorablog.blogspot.com/