RE: Mercury LoadRunner error message

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 16:00:59 -0800

Amir,

Keep in mind that 'sar' averages out the figures over the collection period (usually 20 mins?) - peaks and valleys thus get lost. The error cannot be clearer - the mid-tier does not seem to be able to respond within a given time. I would suggest upgrading the middle-tier (or at least load balancing it with another box). In a live situation, you don't want a single mid-tier box to become the weakest link, right?

John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)

Co-Author: Oracle Database 10g Insider Solutions http://www.samspublishing.com/title/0672327910

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Hameed, Amir Sent: Friday, November 11, 2005 3:29 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Mercury LoadRunner error message

I need some help on troubleshooting an issue with the Mercury LoadRunner. We are running a LoadTest with Mercury LoadRunner 7.8 against an RAC-enabled Oracle 11i (11.5.9) suite. This is a three-tier architecture with three RAC nodes on the backend running Oracle instances, administration and concurrent processing servers and one v880 server on the middle-tier running forms and Apache servers. Some of the LoadRunner connections have been dropping with "Error in reading from Socket or Server not responding". The middle tier has 6 CPU and 12GB RAM and we are driving approximately 120 forms sessions. When the first time this message appeared, I looked at "sar -u" and "sar -q" statistics and discovered that the CPU idle was almost zero and the run-queue length was b/w 12-14 with queue 100% full. This condition had sustained for about 6-8 minutes and thereafter the CPU got released. The wait time defined within the LoadRunnder is 2 minutes and I have been told by our testing folks that if a LoadRunner virtual user connection is not established during this period then the above message is encountered. However, there a few drops in the later part of the afternoon where neither the CPU was pegged nor the run-queue was full. If anyone has seen this issue then could you please shared with me the reason under what circumstances the LoadRunner terminates a connection with "Error in reading from Socket or Server not responding" message.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Amir