Re: How to determine if a stored procedure is used (executed) in the database?

From: Alex Gorbachev <gorbyx_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 20:20:08 +0100

The first step is to check dependancies to see if it's referenced by any other object. If yes than you first investigate this depndency and question of usage is somewhat the secondary until you remove this dependency.

If there are no more dependancies than invalidation of procedure won't cause any cascading effect.

You can also change procedure code and dump message in alert.log when it's run - see http://www.oracle.com/technology/oramag/code/tips2003/011203.html for the call you can use.

2005/11/10, Maimon Oded <oded.maimon_at_gmail.com>:
> i think this is a bit dangerous..
> invalidating code can invalidate lot more things.. and create latches when
> trying to compile, and locks..
>
> Oded.
>

> On 11/10/05, malcolm arnold <malcolmarnold_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > > For index we can monitor the index and find out if it's been used.
> > >
> > > Other than adding custom code to the stored procedure to track it's
> > > execution, is there any other way to do it without modifying it?
> >
> > You can make it invalid. If someone executes it, Oracle will
> > automatically recompile it, turning it valid. If it stays invalid,
> > no-one has executed it...
> >
> > Malcolm.
> > --

Best regards,