cpuOct2005 security patch - error rebuilding libclntsh.a

From: Schauss, Peter <peter.schauss_at_ngc.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 13:34:11 -0500

Oracle 8.1.7.4 on AIX 5.2

After applying the above security patch I found the following error in the log file:

make -f ins_rdbms.mk client_sharedlib ioracle utilities

        /opt/oracle/product/8.1.7/bin/genclntsh ar: Cannot open or remove a file containing a running program. ar: 0707-113 The fopen system call failed on file libclntsh.a.

After verifying that no Oracle processes were running, I renamed $ORACLE_HOME/lib/libclntsh.a and reran the command:

make -f ins_rdbms.mk client_sharedlib

Is there anything else that I need to do? Am I correct in assuming that programs which use this library link to it at runtime and will automatically get the new version when they start or is it possible that some programs may be hard-linked to it?

Thanks,
Peter Schauss