Re: Licensing a disaster recovery system

From: Mark Brinsmead <mark.brinsmead_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 20:32:15 -0700

You might want to re-read your license agreement. The standard license agreement
says that ALL computers on which Oracle software is installed must be licensed.
Of course, corporations with deep pockets can usually license their own agreements.

That's production, test, development, disaster recovery, QA, sandbox, EVERYTHING. The OLSA *does* however, make special allowances for disaster recovery servers,
where you can pre-install the software, and perform test-recoveries. Providing there
is a database present on the D.R. server for (something like) not more than 4 days
(or parts thereof) in a calendar year, no license is required.

You can download the OLSA from www.oracle.com and read it yourself. Be sure to grab the one for you locale.

Peter, the OSLA *does* change over time. (Remember "Concurrent User Licenses"?)
You may want to check out the license that applies to you 8.1.7 (or earlier) purchase,
however, if this is a "fresh install", I think today's license probably applies.

Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead.

P.S. Please note: I am not a lawyer. All comments are based on a lay person's
understanding of the OLSA, and make no consideration whatsoever of anybody's particular ciscunstances nor prevailing laws. DO NOT rely on MY interpretation
of this -- nor anything else. If in doubt, go hire a lawyer.

Oh yes, and DO NOT put /any/ faith in ANYTHING your sales rep. tells you, whether verbally or in writing. The "standard" license agreement contains an
"Entire Agreement" clause, which makes any statements made by /anyone/ (outside of the license agreement itself) _/null and void/_. Sales rep.'s are free to
tell you ANYTHING, and right or wrong, their statements are not binding. Personally, I have found that they are wrong more often than they are right.

If your sales rep. tells you something marvelous, like "you don't need licenses
for development", or "disaster recovery use is free", *don't believe it*, unless the
statement comes in the form of a legally binding ammendment to the OLSA.

If Oracle Corp. decides to audit your license compliance, the audit will NOT be conducted by your friendly sales rep.