Re: Alter system switch logfile hang

From: NEW pop.tiscali.de <adolph.tony_at_tiscali.de>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 08:50:32 +0100

What does give you:
archive log list;

Is *should* be:

Database log mode              *Archive Mode*
Automatic archival             *Enabled*
Archive destination            h:\oradata\DB1\archive
Oldest online log sequence     66
Next log sequence to archive   68
Current log sequence           68

And,:
show parameter archive

log_archive_dest_1                                               string
LOCATION=h:\oradata\DB1\archive
log_archive_dest_state_1                                         string
*enable*

also:
select GROUP#, ARCHIVED, STATUS from v$log;

GROUP# ARC STATUS
------ --- --------

     2 YES INACTIVE
     3 NO  CURRENT
     4 YES INACTIVE

The systems probably waiting for an archive log, i.e. in the query above ARC = NO. I guess your system isn't autoamtically archiving, i.e. log_archive_dest_state_1 (or other dest number *or* plain log_archive_dest_state) is not set to enable. You do this by hand now, then set up automatic archival:

alter system archive log all;

alter system set log_archive_dest_state_1=enable scope=sfpile;

bounce database.

HTH
Cheers
Tony

  Hi All,

  The alter system switch logfile hangs in my database.

> The archive destination is valid and having all the necessary permissions.
> v$session_wait has long waits on "switch logfile command".

  What might be the reason, what else should I check for?

  --
  Regards,

  Deepak
  Oracle DBA