RE: Licensing a disaster recovery system

From: Marquez, Chris <cmarquez_at_collegeboard.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 15:19:01 -0500

Peter,

>> since we are not running instances on
>> the disaster recovery box, we do not need
>> a separate license for it. When we loose
>> the production box we will transfer the
>> license to the disaster recovery box.

Technically I believe the (just) installing Oracle software *is* the license...not some much what you do (nothing) with it (excluding additional options and/or CPU vs. named user licensing). However, I believe that Oracle has technical verbiage regarding non Data Guard fail over servers. Meaning I don't know the exact answer but Oracle Corp. has addressed this subject.

Paul,

>> it *could* be possible to maintain a
>> user-managed standby database with the
>> recently-released 10g R2 XE product

>> I have not yet downloaded the product or
>> read any of the licensing issues and limitations.

Not so fast;

     http://www.oracle.com/corporate/press/2005_oct/103105_databasexe_finalsite.html
     Oracle Press Release
     "Oracle Database XE allows developers, DBAs, ISVs and students the opportunity to..."

Nothing in here about Commercial, Government and non profit "for business" use.

I like your thinking though.

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA