RE: Relocate table to a different tablespace in SAP

From: Goulet, Dick <DGoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 12:38:13 -0500

Roger,

    I'm no SAP person, but PeopleSoft does a similar pile of nonsense it it's processing too. The "if successfully created" I would guess is SAP's method of commenting what's going on so that non DBA types will understand. And NO it's not like alter table move. You'll have two identical tables with different names for a period of time and yes if it messes up in the middle there will be hell to pay. I don't want to know the number of times that PeopleSoft has fouled things up because of some space issue and we ended up restoring a database. Thankfully PeopleSoft is happy to output a script that does things their way and allows you to then do it your way. Not so sure about SAP. Last time I had a serious discussion with a SAP DBA was close to 5 years ago. At that time SAPDBA was a lot more BIG BROTHERish in that if you did something to the database outside of it, it would attempt to reverse what you did with some catastrophic results. Hopefully they've tamed it down, though I don't think so, it's probably worse.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Roger Xu Sent: Friday, November 04, 2005 12:23 PM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Relocate table to a different tablespace in SAP

Hi,

Below is what I see when I used sapdba to move a table.

CREATE        TABLE "SAPR3"."CKMI1#" ...TABLESPACE  "PSAPBTA3D"... AS
SELECT * FROM "SAPR3"."CKMI1";
DROP          TABLE "SAPR3"."CKMI1"  if successfully created;
RENAME                      "CKMI1#" TO "CKMI1";

Question#1: What is "if successfully created" in the second sql statement?
Question#2: Is this same as "alter table move tablespace ..."?

Thanks,

Roger

This e-mail is intended solely for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any review, dissemination, copying, printing or other use of this e-mail by persons or entities other than the addressee is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the material.

This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs Email Security System. Any questions please call 972-721-8257 or email your request to tech_support_at_dp7uptx.com.