character set migration

From: Jeroen van Sluisdam <jeroen.van.sluisdam_at_thomascook.nl>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 17:13:10 +0100

Hi,

I encountered the demand to store the euro sign. With the current character set impossible.
So I have to migrate to a new one. Docs state alter database character set is possible when new character set is a superset.

Alternative is to export and import which is not a realistic at this time for this organization.
I have 2 questions:
1) My current character set is WE8ISO8859P1, I understood WE8ISO8859P15 does contain the euro
sign but is this a superset?
2) Any experiences with alter database character set? Is this a solution without risks? I have about 3 tables
with either long or clob type fields so I might have to export and import those only, but these are not about currencies so should I export those?

Hope you can shed some light on this,

Tnx,

Jeroen