Re: Hardware clustering solutions

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 00:52:13 +0100

I am sorry if i misunderstand something, but:

requirements don't specify, they require. If they do specify, they go beyond their scope.

After investigating requirements about (a.o.) maximum downtime/maximum recovery time and allowed amount of data loss one can start to investigate what would help to meet these requirements. That might end up into specifications.

Apart from that, clustering will save your uptime (maybe), but not your database. A cluster has 1 (one) database. A standby database solves this SPOF.
The uptime might be affected negatively by the added complexity. Complexity and availability are enemies. KISS.

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===