OLE DB Connection Pooling

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 16:37:55 -0600

LIst,

We have a vendor application that is making a connection to Oracle within a loop. Really stupid, but unfortunately we can't change that immeditately. Basically the users see a delay when this occurs.

The client connection uses OLE DB. One thought is whether we can cause OLE DB to do connection pooling to avoid repeated connection requests to Oracle. I searched the 'net and found an article that indicates the SPTimeout registry entry controls connection pooling. The confusing part is that the article is that it indicates unused sessions will remain in the pool for 60 seconds. Maybe the issue is when is a connection considered "unused".

Someone here suggested we try Oracle MTS to cope with this problem, but it seems to me that is on the wrong end of the connection and wouldn't make connections occur faster. But I haven't used MTS.

Thanks
Dennis Williams