Re: normalization

From: malcolm arnold <malcolmarnold_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 11:19:44 +0000

I'm signing up for the denormalised team...

The resource cost of maintaining a calculated field the few times a row is inserted or updated would seem to be a lot less than resource cost of re-calculating it everytime it's selected (over and over and over).

And if we're talking about summary fields, IMO, these should not be maintained by triggers, because I hate triggers, and also because I believe summaries should be maintain asyncronously. Maintaining summaries syncronously means you serialise on the highest level of summary.

Malcolm.