Re: SUSE or Red Hat

From: Ray Stell <stellr_at_cns.vt.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 12:51:51 -0500

Sadly, oracle support of Solaris has really faded, which is really irritating given how 10 is looking. Have you looked at dtrace? It's the tool you have been looking for all your computing life. The key-word below is "concisely." When I saw it in action I was in awe. Come to think of it, dtrace might be the reason oracle doesn't support solaris as well; little the OS or an app does is behind the scenes with dtrace in your tool belt.

http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/dtrace/ "DTrace is a comprehensive dynamic tracing framework for the Solaris Operating Environment. DTrace provides a powerful infrastructure to permit administrators, developers, and service personnel to concisely answer arbitrary questions about the behavior of the operating system and user programs."

I wonder if M$ has a dtrace-like tool for users ;)

Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 10:26:11AM -0700, Mark Moynahan wrote:
> If you're going to be migrating to a *nix environment you may want to
> broaden your OS choice to include Solaris 10. If Solaris is not an
> option then RH.
>

> Mark Moynahan
> Database Administration
> Online Operations
> Apollo Group Inc.
> 602.546.6929 - Work
> 480.201.3027 - Cell
> 602.546.6607 - Fax
> mark.moynahan_at_apollogrp.edu

Ray Stell       stellr_at_vt.edu   (540) 231-4109  Tempus fugit      28^D