Re: Performance Metrics

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:28:07 -0400

On 10/28/05, Lou Avrami <avramil_at_concentric.net> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Upper management has just ask my group to provide performance metrics for our database servers and databases. Even after a couple of conversations we're not quite sure what they mean by "performance metrics", and I'm sure they aren't quite sure what they mean, either. ;)
>
> We could give them Statspack report output, but that probably would be too much information.
>
> If anyone out there has any ideas on what kind of (very) high-level Oracle database metrics might be appropriate, it would be very helpful.
>
> Thanks,
> Lou Avrami

Lou,

ORION appeared to be very promising ... until one reads the section of the readme that covers that it is only intended for destructive testing.

Look into downloading a copy of James Morle's "Scaling Oracle 8i" and his paper "Brewing Benchmarks. Basically, investigate using 10046 trace to obtain application code routinely executed. Profile it ... establish a baseline for its execution time and go from there.

There are third party tools for performing this if you have a budget available.

hth.

Paul