Re: Performance Metrics

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_roughsea.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 22:26:27 +0200

On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 15:56 -0400, Lou Avrami wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Upper management has just ask my group to provide performance metrics for our database servers and databases. Even after a couple of conversations we're not quite sure what they mean by "performance metrics", and I'm sure they aren't quite sure what they mean, either. ;)
>
> We could give them Statspack report output, but that probably would be too much information.
>
> If anyone out there has any ideas on what kind of (very) high-level Oracle database metrics might be appropriate, it would be very helpful.
>
> Thanks,
> Lou Avrami

Lou,

   These values can be found in a Statspack report, but in my view they give a fair idea of what's going on:

None of the values is very significant by itself. But seeing how they evolve can be interesting, and when you compare the profiles (over time) of various applications it is often interesting.

HTH Stephane Faroult