RE: Moving database from HP to IBM-AIX

From: Hostetter, Jay M <JHostetter_at_decommunications.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:48:07 -0400

  We made the exact same move earlier this year. Our database was only around 100Gb. Fortunately, there were only a few tables, and the largest table was partitioned. So we created the database and did a no-rows import (without indexes). I then used the SQLPlus COPY command to copy the older partitions over one at a time. I could have used imp/exp as well, but COPY got the job done. We didn't touch the current partitions (that were currently being updated) until we were ready to go live. When we went live, we copied the tables/partitions that were being updated on a daily basis, then we built our indexes. It worked pretty well.   The nice thing about going to a new box is that you can apply the latest patches and do some parallel testing.

Jay

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org on behalf of Sandeep Dubey Sent: Fri 10/28/2005 10:41 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Moving database from HP to IBM-AIX

Hi,

We need to move 2 TB data warehouse on Oracle 9.2 HP to Oracle 9.2 database on AIX. These operating systems has opposite endian. Down time should be less than 24 hrs.

Please let me know what will be faster and optimum way to do this. I am thinking of sqlloader as the fastest way to go. Are there any better alternative?

If you have undergone such exercise please share your lesson learnt.

Regards

Sandeep

**DISCLAIMER
This e-mail message and any files transmitted with it are intended for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed and may contain information that is privileged, proprietary and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail message. The contents do not represent the opinion of D&E except to the extent that it relates to their official business.

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Oct 28 2005 - 10:50:34 CDT