Re: Trying to drop old undo tablespace that needs recovery

From: Alex Gorbachev <gorbyx_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 08:09:24 +0200

Hi Chris,

I had once a problem with system transactions (in SYSTEM RBS) that got stuck. SMON was core dumping all the time and complaining. The database was working like that for few months (test system but important one) excluding certain functionality (this is where dictionary was affected I guess).
Do you think that can be rocovered as well? In fact, I still have it - just finished migration to a new database and about to give away this old "broken" DB. Would be interesting to try to recover it now.

Cheers,
Alex

2005/10/27, Marquez, Chris <cmarquez_at_collegeboard.org>:

> Mark,
>
> Your problem is likely the oracle (transactions) are still holing on to and
> UNDO segment and oracle want to right itself.
>
> >>They [offline undo segments] don't show a status of needing recovery.
>
> I have not been in the exact position, but in a very similar one...sadly
> several times.
> I would like to see more of the ORA-00600 or other ORA- error details.
>
> I have my own notes titled;
> Drop Rollback or UNDO Tablspace With Active / Corrupt / "NEEDS RECOVERY"
> Segments
> I will send them to you directly.
>
> But in a basically it goes like this;

<skip>