Trying to drop old undo tablespace that needs recovery

From: Strickland, Mark <mark.strickland_at_cingular.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:19:05 -0700

I've opened a TAR, but I wanted to also solicit ideas from the list. I inherited a database that has an old undo tablespace "UNDO2" that had a datafile that has needed recovery since August 9th. I don't have archived logs going back that far. The tablespace isn't being used. A new undo tablespace called "UNDO" was created sometime back and is being used. The database has been shutdown and restarted successfully since the problem started. Every night when the tablespaces are put in backup mode, errors are thrown in the alert log for the undo2 tablespace because the file that needs recovery is offline. The tablespace has offline undo segments. They don't show a status of needing recovery. I researched it in Metalink and believed that I could offline drop the datafiles in that old tablespace and then drop the tablespace. I was able to execute the alter database offline drop statements successfully, but when I tried to drop the tablespace, I got an ORA-00600. Anybody got any ideas?

Mark Strickland
Seattle, WA