Re: 8.1.7 connection problems

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 11:50:29 -0400

On 10/26/05, Stephan Eichenlaub <stephan_at_eichenlaub.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> every once in a while (maybe once in two months) a customer has
> connection problems to his production database.
>
> Version is 8.1.7. Setup is a database server (linux) and a windows
> server that runs the application (and several clients connecting to the
> application but that's of no importance here).
>
> The connection failure only seems to occur at night. After maintenance
> the database is started up again, then has about 30 minutes of idle
> time, gets a tnsping 10 to wake up the connection - and right after the
> tnsping sqlplus gets an error.
> In the batch these commands are issued right after another:
>
> ------------- start here ------------
> tnsping mySID 10 >> mylog
> sqlplus -s system/password_at_mySID @switch_logfile.sql >> mylog
> ------------- end here -------------
>
> The result usually is that things work like intended but sometimes it
> doesn't. The logfile mylog shows:
>
> ------------- start here ------------
>
> TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on
> 25-OKT-2005 22:00:00
>
> (c) Copyright 1997 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> Attempting to contact
> (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=192.168.101.211)(PORT=1521))
> OK (40 msec)
> OK (40 msec)
> OK (0 msec)
> OK (0 msec)
> OK (0 msec)
> OK (0 msec)
> OK (0 msec)
> OK (0 msec)
> OK (0 msec)
> OK (0 msec)
> ERROR:
> ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
> Linux Error: 2: No such file or directory
>
> ------------------ end here -------------
>
> The tnsping seems to have helped making the connection error happen less
> often - but apparently it's not the solution to the problem as in the
> example above it reports 10 fine pings - and right after that the
> connection can't be established.
>
> What could be the reason, where would you start looking?
> In the oracle logfiles on the database server nothing shows up, not even
> a connection attempt.
> Strangely enough, I haven't found a recent sqlnet.log on the machine
> that runs the script.
>
> Stephan Eichenlaub

> Stephan Eichenlaub xx49-261-9141500
> St.-Josef-Platz 10 xx49-162-9068888
> D-56068 Koblenz http://www.eichenlaub.net

Stephan,

tnsping succeeds implies that the tns listener is available. sqlplus connection fails implies that no such instance is available. the listener being up and the database instance being up are 2 very different concepts.

Perhaps a cold backup is running during that time interval? Check v$instance (if you have privileges) and see when the instance was last started.
Sounds like a database in noarchivelog mode that only uses offline backups.

hth.

Paul