RE: Methods for testing RMAN backups?

From: Ruth Gramolini <rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:52:53 -0400

Do you have autobackup controlfile on for Netbackup, if you can. Also did tell Netbackup to "backup incremental level 0

   ( database include current controlfile );" If it is not specified it won't back it up. I am not familiar with Netbackup so I am just thinking of possible reasons.

HTH,
Ruth

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org]

On

Vanessa,

A good first test is to validate your backup. Simply allocate a channel and issue a "restore database validate;". This does everything that a restore would do except it does not touch the database. Validate both your database and archivelog backups. This will prove that you can get the backups off of tape or from disk, depending on the type of backup you are doing. I run a validate backup every week for all of our databases.

After this, I would insist on performing a complete restore just so that you know it can be done.

Good Luck!

Tom

Important Notice!!
If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail message, any use,
distribution or copying of the message is prohibited.
Please let me know immediately by return e-mail if you have received this
message by mistake, then delete the e-mail message.
Thank you.