Re: oracle is causing high WIO

From: <DEEDSD_at_Nationwide.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 23:40:42 -0400

Pardon the all-caps business that shows my email id - it's a Lotus Notes thing and I haven't gotten around to figuring out how to fix it.

You may want to get your sysadmins involved. Are the controllers insanely high as well (iostat -xnC 1 | grep c)? Has anything changed on the box recently?

We had a server that had something funny happen on either the settings for HBAs or the mount options of the disks after a frame migration. I don't recall what the final resolution was. No activity on the database whatsoever, but the I/O wait was incredibly high and the average service time stunk. Also, try a mkfile on one of the filesystems with Oracle down and see if that makes the associated disk go crazy.

                          raja rao
                          <raja4list_at_yahoo.com>    T
                                                   To:   ganstadba_at_hotmail.com
                          Sent by:                 cc:   oracle-l_at_freelists.org
                          oracle-l-bounce_at_freelis
                          ts.org                   bcc:
                                                   Subject:                                          Re: oracle is causing
                                                   high WIO

                          10/24/2005 12:25 PM
                          Please respond to
                          raja4list

even after the startup restrict also the below is the WIO:

$ sar -u 2 5

SunOS oracle 5.9 Generic_117171-02 sun4u 10/24/2005

12:09:30    %usr    %sys    %wio   %idle
12:09:32      11       6      64      19
12:09:34      12       7      66      16
12:09:36       4       1      90       6
12:09:38       0       0      94       5
12:09:40       0       0      90      10

$

CAN SOMEONE hlep me. we are stuck here on the production db.

Michael McMullen <ganstadba_at_hotmail.com> wrote:  startup restrict and see what it is doing.

 It seems the problem is with oracle.

 Now when I shutdown the WIO is 0% AND when i start oracle, it is showing  WIO as 80-90%

 $ sar -u 2 4
 SunOS oracle 5.9 Generic_117171-02 sun4u 10/24/2005

 11:54:39 %usr %sys %wio %idle
 11:54:41 4 4 85 6
 11:54:43 1 2 83 14
 11:54:45 1 2 81 16
 11:54:47 2 2 82 13

 $

 how to find out why oracle is causing this high WIO ?

 can someone help me

 raja rao wrote:
 Yes,

 When the db was down, there was no change in WIO.

 Means, the databse connections are not casing this high WIO.