Re: Death of the database

From: Rodd Holman <Rodd.Holman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 10:46:22 -0500

Rather than thinking is it there or not, think shelf quantity is down by 50%, notify stockers to get more product on shelf. Send record to corporate to order more product.... Combine this with the auto facing shelves (the shelves that have a spring plunger to always keep product at the front) and you eliminate about 1/3 of the work that my daughters used to do when they worked at our local grocery store. Yes, I could see inventory robots doing this with RFID. Wouldn't even need robots. Just put sensors on the top of the shelves every so often down each row and link them with the system in the back. Would it work in meats and produce? Probably not. Folks get rather picky about putting silicon chips on their fresh meats and produce. But it could easily be incorporated into packaging of canned and boxed goods. As mentioned earlier the chip return policy is rather rude too. ;-)

--
Rodd Holman
Enterprise Data Systems Engineer