RE: Death of the database

From: Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) <Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 10:57:44 -0400

Interesting article. And it totally makes sense.

I wonder how they solve the problem of the chip in the back of my hand failing and all of my personal information goes with it. How do I get it restored?

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jared Still Sent: Monday, October 24, 2005 10:40 AM
To: Oracle-L Freelists
Subject: Death of the database

Anyone seen their workload reduced due to unstructured data?

Death of the database

As improvements in networking technologies lead to real-time connectivity to any data, that data will be best kept closest to its natural source rather than at the intersection of a database's row and tuple. At last week's Symposium ITxpo, Gartner analysts backed up that premise with two examples: an RFID-tag equipped can of soup, and a chip embedded in the back of a human hand. Must data always be stored -- or cached -- in a database? If not, it's time for DBAs and BI vendors to to reinvent themselves. http://ct.zdnet.com.com/clicks?c=625728-4778725&brand=zdnet&ds=5&fs=0

--
Jared Still