RE: Managing developers recommendations

From: Herring Dave - dherri <Dave.Herring_at_acxiom.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 09:51:12 -0500

Unfortunately I don't have much choice. If management tells me that person A, B, and C need read-only access to production tables to periodically review a sample of data for accuracy, I've got to do it. If the production team tells me that x number of support folks need read-only access to production tables to be able to resolve production issues, I've got to do it. In both cases, they use TOAD and I observe the periodic full scanning of large tables.

Dave

Dave Herring, DBA

Acxiom Corporation

3333 Finley

Downers Grove, IL 60515

wk: 630.944.4762

<mailto:dherri_at_acxiom.com <mailto:dherri_at_acxiom.com> >

From: Richard Ji [mailto:richard.c.ji_at_gmail.com] Sent: Monday, October 24, 2005 9:06 AM
To: Herring Dave - dherri
Cc: adar76_at_inter.net.il; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: Managing developers recommendations

Why does QA have access to your production DB? Our production DB is so tight, that only way to connect is from the application server or if you are login into the DB server which requires an account. No desktops
or any other servers can connect to it. You have to think about security
of such a lose access to DB servers, not to mention user errors and performance impacts.

The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged.

If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please resend this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system.

Thank You.