RMAN Retention policies

From: Mike Schmitt <mschmitt_at_uchicago.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:40:22 -0500

Hi all,

I was wondering if I could get some advice on the best way to handle retention policies as they relate to RMAN and media management software. This is for a mixed 9.2 and 10 environment.

For example, if we wanted to implement a retention policy that looks like the following, and has all other backups removed from the tape library.
- Keep daily full backups for 1 week

I am curious about what others do to handle this? Would it be best to set a keep time for each backup that gets run, designating how long that particular backup should be retained, or would it be better to have a separate script log in and change the catalog to match what you want the policy to look like. ( This is for TSM btw, and my impression is that TSM mainly leaves retention up to the commands it gets by way of TDP)

I am currently leaning towards handling this with the keep option, but I would appreciate any advice

Thanks