RE: using LDAP for tnsnames.ora repalcement

From: Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) <Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 14:37:37 -0400

Jim,

I don't know how to do what you want, but we use OID/LDAP as a replacement for tnsnames. True, we have an Oracle database to support this. But we already have a generic Oracle database to support various Oracle tools like Rman, Oracle Designer and OEM. Creating another schema in this database to support OID was no big deal for us.

Just something for you to think about.

Tom

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Kennedy, Jim Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2005 2:21 PM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: using LDAP for tnsnames.ora repalcement

I've done a Metalink and a Google search and I am just not getting the traction on this question. I want to investigate using LDAP to replace pushing all those tnsnames.ora files around. I am on 9i and we have Unix and MS Windows clients. (db''s on Unix) I've read the docs
(Oracle 9i Net Services Administraror's Guide etc.) and searched
Metalink ( 217270.1 ) and otn
(http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/oid/htdocs/namesmigration1.ht
ml, http://download-west.oracle.com/oowsf2004/1457_wp.pdf) etc. and it seems like you can't just use LDAP, but have to create YAOD (yet another Oracle Database) and use Oracle Internet Directory. That's great if I want to buy and configure more Oracle stuff, but really I just want to piggy back on our current LDAP servers. I don't want to fight the political battle of adding yet another LDAP server to the islands of data.

Anyone have a link to a white paper or more info? I'm looking for a simple step by step brain dead example. eg I want to use the ldap server on my desktop, add info to it and have it work as a small POC.

Thanks,

Jim