using LDAP for tnsnames.ora repalcement

From: Kennedy, Jim <jim_kennedy_at_mentor.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:20:52 -0700

I've done a Metalink and a Google search and I am just not getting the traction on this question. I want to investigate using LDAP to replace pushing all those tnsnames.ora files around. I am on 9i and we have Unix and MS Windows clients. (db''s on Unix) I've read the docs
(Oracle 9i Net Services Administraror's Guide etc.) and searched
Metalink ( 217270.1 ) and otn
(http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/oid/htdocs/namesmigration1.ht
ml, http://download-west.oracle.com/oowsf2004/1457_wp.pdf) etc. and it seems like you can't just use LDAP, but have to create YAOD (yet another Oracle Database) and use Oracle Internet Directory. That's great if I want to buy and configure more Oracle stuff, but really I just want to piggy back on our current LDAP servers. I don't want to fight the political battle of adding yet another LDAP server to the islands of data.

Anyone have a link to a white paper or more info? I'm looking for a simple step by step brain dead example. eg I want to use the ldap server on my desktop, add info to it and have it work as a small POC.

Thanks,
Jim