RE: Extent allocation time

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 04:02:52 +1000

Funny, I read this completely differently, as in I thought the original question meant "Is there a way I can stop an extent allocation failing because it ran out of space while I go and research where I can extend the tablespace to?" :)

I guess your reading is more correct though when I go back and look at the question. If it is, then Steve of course was right. If it's not, and you ARE actually wanting the extent allocation to hang rather than fail immediately, then there is a way of doing that. It's called resumable space allocation. Search on tahiti to find more.

Pete

"Controlling developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

"Oh no, it's not.  It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of rjamya Sent: Friday, 21 October 2005 3:55 AM
To: DGoulet_at_vicr.com
Cc: ora_forum_at_yahoo.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: Extent allocation time

Steve adams mentioned long time ago that is is way difficult to do. but if you are willing to dump archive logs with the right later and op code, you may be able to find it. you are running in archivelog mode right?

Raj