multi-master replication

From: Loughmiller, Greg <greg.loughmiller_at_cingular.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 09:57:21 -0500

hey folks,

I believe I may have sent this out before - so go ahead and hammer me accordingly:-) But I have an interesting requirement for an effort......

Has anyone had any experience in trying to do multi-master replication to keep multiple databases in sync? The assumption is that there would be multiple application/database infrastructures - and the data needs to be consistent between the *stacks*. And in one specific scenario - there could be several million txn's per a 12 hour window of the day:-). A couple of the goals and objectives for this chaos are to try to be data center agnostic for the application-thus the need for the data to be consistent. The additional assumption is that this would provide a level of HA in the event there is a problem with one or more application stack (hmmm..... smells like RAC, taste like RAC - maybe it is RAC but not data center agnostic). The version of Oracle is 9206(for now), on Solaris, using HDS/EMC storage.....

So I guess my questions are:

  1. Can streams keep up in this type of transactional volume?
  2. I have my own opinion of this matter - but have you all seen other methods to maintain the data in such a fashion?
  3. Other technologies for this type of problem?
  4. Or better yet - other potential solutions (don't do multi master but do X,Y,Z )

My personal opinion with the limited exposure to Streams is that it probably could not maintain that type of throughput, as well as placing additional stress on the host as well as the DB. So I thought would throw this out there to get some opinions, thrashing, or ideas from the list.....

Thanks in advance

Greg Loughmiller