RE: Vendors supporting patch levels

From: Bob Murching <bob_murching_at_budco.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:34:36 -0400

Depends a lot on the specific release in question.

My experience has been that support generally is good so long as the major release is under support. If the TAR identifies a bug that's fixed in a later patchset, however, requesting backports can be a challenge. That rarely is a hill I want to die on, and I find that staying with the more recent patchsets (perhaps not every single one but every 3rd patchset depending on community feedback) is the path of least resistance.