BEA and Java Connection Pooling

From: Michael Fontana <MFontana_at_verio.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:28:11 -0400

Has anyone had experience with BEA weblogic and powerportal creating large amounts of oracle connections (connection pooling is what they call it)?

This is certainly fine as long as oracle process and session parameters are set with a size to support them. However, we have seen, when changes or outages to the network/firewall occur (and they often do, due to routine maintenance as well as unplanned disruptions), that while these connections persist, they no longer successfully query databases.

This is, of course, as I am told by our development management, a "DATABASE PROBLEM". Given that Oracle has similar methods to accomplish the same things as the java connection pools are supposed to, does anyone have any suggestions/experience/advice about the use of these techniques?