RE: DATAFILE??

From: <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 09:41:10 -0700

The best way to find out is to try it. You will probably find that it depends. If you use a LMT and do uniform extents then it will do it by concatenation. (fill up the first file then move on to the 2nd etc.). If you create an LMT and do automatic extents then it is different. It does it by striping. The first extent goes in the first file, the 2nd in the 2nd file...

You can see this by setting up a small test. Jim

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Yavor Ivanov Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 5:23 AM
To: Oracle Mailing List; oracle.tutorials_at_gmail.com Subject: Re: DATAFILE??

        I guess you are trying to do some load-balansinag and the 5 datafiles are on diferent storage groups? Because I cannot think of another case when datafile matters.

        So I *think* is is possible to track down the datafile by rowid, but is is quite hard work. But even if you find out where do you insert, you do not have _any_ control over this. And since it is only for looking purposes, you may use v$filestat.

	Rgds,
	Yavor