Re: Disaster recovery question

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 20:15:03 +0200

Sandeep,

Look at Note:225633.1 at Metalink.

It is possible to set up a secure connection, using ssh. Data Guard use this.
Your network people might be willing to configure this for you.

In fact, I have quite some customers that provide ssh-access from outside, for remote support. I can easily tunnel port 1521 (or what other port needed) through ssh and logon (through SQL*Net) to their databases from my own system, using my own tools.

I once ran the Oracle installer on a system on Curacao, (Dutch Antilles, Caribbean) from The Netherlands, tunneling X through ssh.

If your network people won't consider this, the availability of your system will suffer. Scripted 'pull' of archived logs will always leave you with a potential data loss of at least the current online redo log file, and possibly more. It will result in a configuration that will be hard to manage.

Does the business accept that? IMHO SA's, DBA's and Network people have to cooperate to provide service, and not to fight each other to prevent service to be delivered.

ssh can be your friend on this. Show the note to your collegues.

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===